Why you should become a LION Publisher
Apply today to become a member of the nation's only association representing Local Independent Online News Publishers.
LION Publishers are successfully creating the future of reporting: locally owned and operated news outlets that directly serve their communities.
Knowledge & networking
LION Publishers share their expertise in editorial, technical, business, advertising sales, marketing and fundraising with their peers. Network with a pool of online news pioneers who are proving daily that local online news does work.
As a member of LION Publishers, you and your organization will be associated with a group of the most recognized and respected local news sites in the nation. The association works as an advocate for local independent news sites, raising our public profile and standing in the industry.
Efficiency & effectiveness
LION is dedicated to improving our members' businesses, on both the editorial and revenue side. Members share their strategies on running news operations that are growing, not shrinking.
LION Publishers are eligible for a variety of member benefits; as a member, you can:
- Learn best practices from fellow publishers across the country in a confidential forum and our private Facebook group, the LIONs Den.
- Participate in monthly webinars about advertising sales, investigative reporting, data visualization, online video, content management, mobile platforms, etc.
- Receive pro bono enterprise-level protection from DDoS attacks with CloudFlare's Project Galileo — worth thousands monthly!
- Attend regional meet-ups and our annual national conference
- Search our directory of LION Publishers and a useful list of service providers
- Proudly display the LION badge on your site
Other in-the-works LION benefits:
- Discounts from approved vendors on web hosting, software, graphic design, and more.
- Content sharing network & editorial collaborations
- Legal document database
- Startup mentoring from veteran publishers
- LION ROAR (Revenue Opportunities and Rankings) – A comprehensive list of revenue opportunities and exclusive member-provided intelligence on earning potential
Local Independent Online News websites are building the future of local news. Be a part of the movement from the beginning: fill out a membership application today.